Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Summer Nights

According to what I've gleaned while teaching Homer, the phrase "dog days" refers to the appearance of the Dog Star, Sirius, during the month of August--something which many people know. But why is Sirius baleful? Its dominance of the heavens signified the most dangerous period of time for the plague: the rats get frisky and the fleas are jumpin' and the cotton is...oh, that's another allusion. At any rate, when Achilles races after Hector near the climax to the Iliad, his newly forged armor shining in the rays of the sun, he is compared, in a somewhat brief epic simile, to the fateful and dangerous Sirius.

I'm sure that was on Eddie Cochrane's mind when he penned his most famous song, "Summertime Blues." Here's a video from YouTube of Eddie, at the height of Fifties cool, doing that song. (The volume is extremely low on the recording.)



(I love the way he breaks up more and more when the backup singer delivers the punch lines.)

One more summer allusion--a song I very vaguely remember from the Sixties was titled "Summer Nights." All I could remember that it was sung by a British female singer and had a prominent harpsichord--as well as a few words from the bridge's lyrics: "there's a little cafe..." I thought the singer might be Linda Hopkins, but it was, as Google told me, the much throatier Marianne Faithfull. And thanks to iTunes, I found it was much better than I remembered, which, unfortunately, is not always the case. That vibrato contralto...

3 comments:

Harry said...

If there's one song that makes me wish I had been born earlier -- so I could have heard it live, or at least on the radio of a Cadillac with the top down on a summer afternoon -- it's Summertime Blues. (OK, there are at least ten, but SB is right up near the top!) Eddie was definitely the height of cool -- but that voice... oy! What punch! And an excellant lyricist. I believe he also scribed the immortal Twenty Flight Rock, yes? Aah, had I been granted a thimble-full of such talent...

Can you beat that pompadour, the Gretsch Chet Atkins he's playing -- and, best of all, the house-band back-up dudes in the white tuxes? Finer times, I think, finer times.

Eric Little said...

I was trying to think of who Cochrane reminded me of--from the pompadour to the way he lifts his shoulders as he strums--and it's Jimmie Lee Vaughan, Stevie Ray's brother--except he's a Stratocaster man.

I was a couple of years too late for the first great birth of rock--when I started paying attention to it, Cochrane, Holly, and Valens were dead, Elvis in the Army (only to come out as a zombie under the guidance of "Col." Parker), Little Richard in the ministry (???!!!!), Jerry Lee Lewis cast out for marrying his way underage cousin, Carl Perkins hospitalized, and Chuck Berry a guest of the state for violating the Mann Act.

It's like the British invasion was set up by fate--the vacuum of Fabian, Frankie, Bobby, etc., just waiting to be filled by real talent.

Harry said...

I hear you on the vacuum of talent in the early '60s. The Day the Music Died, indeed, eh? Though I do like Duane Eddy and some of the other instrumentalists, they could hardly fill the shoes of the Giants that had walked the earth before them.