Friday, May 18, 2007

Till Human Voices Wake Us...

The other day I was interviewed on public radio concerning a writers' workshop I'm taking part in, and of course, I couldn't hear the broadcast because it was live. But it was rebroadcast later that evening, and is available on the network's website. People asked me if I listened to it, and I answered, "No!" For some reason, I cannot stand listening to the sound of my recorded voice (students will attest that I don't have any problem listening to my voice live, so to speak).

It is not so much because of its sound (although it's more nasal than I would like, and I have more of a Chicago accent than I think I do, although not as much as George Wendt when he does the SNL "Da Bears"). It's because I can't edit what I say; I always think, "Why did I say it that way?" I am just thankful that other people seem to enjoy the sound of my voice, and leave the psychological ramifications of my distaste with other character fragments I sweep up every once in a while and send down the memory hole. I've got bigger problems to worry about.

No comments: