Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pro Prozac

I realize that I might have given the impression in the last blog that I am against antidepressant drugs, and nothing could be further from the truth. No one should have to suffer an instant from clinical depression--the chronic, immoveable depression that has no immediate and identifiable cause--and I just wish people who do so suffer could be matched more quickly and more efficaciously with those drugs that might work for them.

Of course, then my mind wanders to analogies. My old friend George Orwell used to rant not only about how the beer in England was worse than in his youth, but that England had become a nation of aspirin chewers. He thought--I speculate, for he never clearly spells it out--that a headache or muscle ache should be suffered through, or perhaps that people were taking aspiring too frequently. (This from a man who was shot through the neck during the Spanish Civil War and did not refuse injections of experimental sulfa drugs as he was dying of tuberculosis.) But if all physical pain is bad--beyond that which tells us something is wrong with our bodies--then why not all psychic or emotional pain, whatever its source--depression, or the death of a loved one?

I was going to tie this up with Plato's banishment of artists in Book X of The Republic--which to me is more invidious than any of my philosophy profs ever let on: it's not just that they are liars--but I need a better translation--and at this moment, probably a better mind.

2 comments:

Adam Thornton said...

I think that, as a whole, we live in an over-medicated society. Some people certainly need anti-depressants, and those are the people who should get the perscriptions.

But for the rest of the people -- some of whom I've known -- c'mon, suck it up. Anguish and occasional depression are human constants. Never use a drug to keep you from feeling those very human (and often necessary) emotions of anxiety and helplessness. If you drug up, you'll never learn to deal with life in a healthy way.

I lay a lot of blame at the doors of the pharmacutical companies, who promote their drugs as magic cure-alls. If a person is anxious, they may be anxious for a very good reason...giving them a drug to stop them from feeling anxious (beyond simply getting them through the early stages of a crisis) is like completely blocking the "pain" signals from getting to the brain...next thing you know your extremities are falling off because you became unable to see danger coming.

Every few years I consider taking some sort of anti-depressant, and then decide that I'm still capable of dealing with my problems, at least somewhat. I also don't want to change my personality...it's taken me long enough to get used to the one I already have!

Eric Little said...

My initial thoughts about this were inspired by two facts: 1) A friend who was prescribed prozac after her husband was killed in a car crash, and 2) I have suffered from clinical depression.

In the first instance, I wondered, as you do, what happens if one were to skate over the emotions that accompany such a tragic loss. Do you pay later? A society of such medicated creatures would resemble that of Plato's autarchs, ruthlessly supressing their own pain and forbidden to watch it in others because the tragedians have been banished.

The second point: I know that without antidepressants, I would have been found long ago in a sealed garage with the car's motor running, Vaughan Willams's Pastoral Symphony playing. (Not Beethoven's--that was Edward G. Robinson in "Soylent Green").