Thursday, April 19, 2007

"This Time Tomorrow"

One of the first groups I searched for on youtube was the Kinks, and of course a lot of the hits I got were for lip-synched early songs from American rock TV shows of the 1960s like Shindig and Hullabaloo. One of them had Annette Funicello, whom I had lusted after ever since seeing her on The Mickey Mouse Club, introducing the boys miming "All the Day and All of the Night," and then her beginning to dance as they cut to the group. Heck, they should have kept the camera on her.

One link was to a song from Lola versus Powerman and the Money-Go-Round, a song about an airplane flight I had always liked, "This Time Tomorrow." It turns out that the clip is from a 2005 movie, Les Amants Reguliers, by Philippe Garrel. I don't know quite why I like this so much--its texture, from La Novelle Vague French cinema of the 1960s, the spirit, the dancing (and I don't know why I find that girl's planting her leg on the wall behind her so sexy), but I hope that the afterlife includes a few scenes like this. (And I notice that the DVD of this film will be available here next month. )

No comments: