Sunday, April 1, 2007

Two Countdowns

Two groups of fans are undergoing countdowns to publishing day, I noticed recently. The first, and probably much the larger, are awaiting the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. This week the publishers also released the cover art for the book, and both jackets (American and British) are undergoing exegesis worthy of that applied by medieval clergy to the Revelation of St. John. In general, I like the Harry Potter books, and like even more their power to get children to read, and read beyond their level, and thankfully J. K. Rowling has not succumbed to Jordanitis--the temptation to milk a cash cow by breeding them ad infinitum.

The other countdown--and this one I was more surprised about--is for the publication of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Children of Hurin, Christopher Tolkien's contruction, out of a variety of his father's material, of the saga of Turin Turambar, a human hero of the First Age of Middle Earth. Some Tolkine sites and newsgroups have indulged in speculation on the work, since its table of contents has been released, but nothing on the scale of Potterian guesswork.

I await both works with the melancholy knowledge that in both cases, the books are probably the last major works from each author (in Rowling's case about Harry Potter), both of whom consistently exemplify Tolkien's reflection that the chief opponents of so-called "escapist" literature are those who would chain the imagination.

2 comments:

Adam Thornton said...

So many people (adults) that I know really like Harry Potter. There must be something to it. I saw the first movie, but didn't enjoy it enough to go on and read any of the books.

As for Tolkein, I did read LOTR as a kid and then again a few years ago, and while I got wrapped up with the scope of it all I was often frustrated by his total lack of pacing. Moria is still the highpoint for me (caves and dark mysteries!) and Rivendell the lowpoint.

For me, the big fantasy-revival-countdown has been the third series of Stephen R. Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" books. Repetative in every way (everything is "incohate" and "spatulate," everybody is always "past the end of their endurance"), depressing, but WHAT A PLOT. And somehow, after five books or so, he convinces you to like the anti-hero.

Eric Little said...

Yes--for me too, the most striking section is Moria (those journeys to the Underworld always stand out, going back to "The Odyssey" and including "The Empire Strikes Back"). I remember reading that particular section for the first time in my bedroom in high school: "Doom, doom came the drum-beat and the walls shook." Gazed up at the opposite (immobile) wall and savored the moment.
"Supper!"
"In a minute, Mom."

"'Ai ai!'" wailed Legolas. "'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'"

For me the ennui sets in during the Shelob section. In fact all of "The Two Towers" doesn't make much narrative sense, except in terms of retardation of the main action--getting the ring to Mordor. The publication of "The History of Middle Earth" shows how Tolkien was making it up--even the geography--as he went along. I like the Rohirrim because of their Anglo-Saxon connection, and I suppose Saruman is necessary to show that even wizards can slip (although the similarity of his name to Sauron's caused Bakshi in his cartoon version to change it.) But big spiders and another false death don't do it for me.

I've heard a lot of good things about Donaldson, whom I have unfairly lumped in my mind with Terry Brooks, a shameless Tolkien plunderer. Another group added to the to-be-read pile.