Sunday, April 22, 2007

Writing

I can't figure this out, and I've been writing for as long as I've been alive, it seems. Why is it that the emotions that you have while you are writing bear little resemblance, at times, to the emotions you have when you read what you've written?

I'm writing a couple of pieces now for a deadline, and I feel at times like my brain is a wet rag that I'm twisting with all my strength to get a few drops of dirty dishwater from. I'm hitting the word count tab every minute to see how much more I have to do to finish. Then later I read what I have written, and it's decent. At other times, I sit down, and in an hour, I've got more than a thousand words. I read it later, and it's jumbled, disorganized, awkward, lacking in transitions, incomprehensible at times . . . well, maybe not quite that bad, but certainly not like beautiful icing squeezed out on to a cake, which is what it felt like when I was writing it.

Other physical activities have a correlation between ease of action and results. I remember from hitting a softball that if I could establish a rhythm, the flow of the swing and the sequence of muscles (left knee, right hip, hands pull back, wrists cock, unlock, arms drive, hip reverse, weight shifts, bat hits ball: undercut--deep fly; open stance--pull; close stance--right field), the results were what I envisioned. I was never good enough to be consistent, but when everything went right--the body, the muscles, the nerves remember.

And now I have only words to play with.

3 comments:

Adam Thornton said...

I'm brain-dead this morning, but this probably has something to do with one of the nifty concepts from first-year Psychology: "State-Dependent Memory."

SDM is exactly what it says. Assuming that we all move through a constant series of different mental/emotional states, it stands to reason that when we reach state "X" our memory of state "W" will not reflect how we actually felt during "W"...because our state (and therefore our whole frame of reference) has changed.

This is used to explain why dreams seem so monumental while we're dreaming them, but when we're no longer in the "dream state" we can no longer understand why we were so riled up. This is also used to explain why we have some degree of difficulty remembering our dreams: so much is no longer comprehensible once we've left that state.

SDM is also the scapegoat when we discuss why our memories of infancy are so cloudy and scattered; we were in such a different "state" at the time that we can no longer relate to those memories and put them into a coherent form.

There's little doubt to me that a writer is in a particular state when writing...and in a different state when reading.

Eric Little said...

Thanks! That makes sense to me. Luckily, we must feel a whole lot better when we engage in reading than when we engage in writing.

Adam Thornton said...

Reading is probably less work!