Saturday, June 23, 2007

Daisies

More flower name usage of a sort:

The real "Doc" Holliday said to one of his opponents in the shootout at the OK Corral (1881), when told he was about to be shot, "You're a daisy if you do"--and then proceeded to gun down his opponent. Was that use of "daisy" a flowery Southern locution (Holliday was from Georgia)?

While doing a little botanical research on the previous entry, I learned that "daisy" (like "pansy"--it was cross-referenced) can also mean "slang. (chiefly U.S.). A first-rate thing or person; also as adj. First-rate, charming."

An illustrative quotation is cited from Little Lord Fauntleroy (1886) by Frances Hodgson Burnett:

"She's the daisiest gal I ever saw! She's well she's just a daisy, that's what she is."

The last recorded reference is 1889, so I don't feel terrible about not knowing that meaning off-hand (or off-mind).

But to all my readers: you are the daisiest people I know!

No comments: