Friday, June 8, 2007

Whew---Next!

Now that the writing workshop is over, I find myself--as I knew I would be--not so much relieved as depressed. As is usual with tasks that I find daunting and anxiety-fueling, it turned out to be exhilirating and exhausting. It charged me up in all kinds of good ways, and I look forward to doing it again next summer, if I still inhabit this astral sphere--and doing it better.

Now for some light reading, or in this case, re-reading, before I work on my next essay. Let's see--Ada or V.? Ada or V.? I'll chicken out for now--V. Back to Benny, Rachel, Pig, and the Whole Sick Crew.

And to conclude with a simply celebratory piece of music: another founding father of rock, Chuck Berry, from an appearance on Hullabaloo, which was NBC's mid-1960's rock show, and which usually forced performers to lipsynch, except during its concluding section, "Hullabaloo A Go Go," in which performers were sometimes allowed to sing live to a recorded intrumental track. Here Chuck performs "Johnny B. Goode" entirely live, because he had to, what with the weird choreography during the guitar solo (what are those guys supposed to be? Basketball refs?). It's fun, but it's also Chuck a couple of years before the delayed adulation he originally deserved, after finally being given to him, went to his head. Duck-walkin' his way into adolescent dreams of cars, school, and girls.

No comments: